As a charity, ICYE UK is ultimately run by a Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees are and must be volunteers and are democratically elected by ICYE UK members at the organisation’s AGM which takes place in Autumn each year. The Board is responsible for ensuring that ICYE UK is operating according to our goals and beliefs whilst making sure that we are a financially stable organisation. They have a key role in long term planning for the organisation and managing the strategy in order to shape ICYE UK’s future.
Currently the Board is made up of 8 trustees who come from a variety of professional backgrounds. All, however, share a passion and commitment for the work of ICYE UK and seek to use their skills and knowledge to the benefit of the charity.
- Nick spent an amazing year volunteering in Mexico with ICYE 2003-4, which had a massive impact on pretty much everything he did afterwards. He completed a masters in Latin American Studies and a spent a period working to reduce violence in Central America for the European External Action Service. He also got fully involved in ICYE-UK from talking about his experiences in Mexico at information days to helping in the kitchen at camps, to supporting training, to organising fundraising and social events. Nick's family was also a host family for ICYE UK (receiving Nick’s host sister from Mexico). Nick has been trustee since 2011 and was delighted to team up with Nora to become co-chair in 2015. Outside of ICYE he is settling in to married life with his new wife Jenny and is a policy adviser for the Department for Work and Pensions.
- Nora has over ten years experience in fundraising and marketing within the third sector and gained her first experiences of the sector through an internship in the ICYE UK office. Since then she has worked with large international and national charities as well as small NGOs. She is experienced in community, major donor and corporate fundraising and has used these skills to help diversify the support ICYE UK receives. Having studied Development Studies at SOAS, she has a keen interest in international relations and politics, particularly women’s rights and has worked and studied in China and Australia.
- Russell was invited to join the Board of Trustees in 2010. He has lived and worked overseas in the US, France and South Korea and spent two and a half years working as a volunteer for a youth led NGO here in the UK. He now works as a programme manager for an international development charity. He is really excited about being on the Board of Trustees and enjoys getting involved in all aspects of the organisation’s work.
Trustee for Membership
- Emma first became involved with ICYE as a member of the staff team, supporting the short-term sending programme. After leaving the staff team Emma stayed involved with ICYE, volunteering at volunteer camps and then joining the board of Trustees in 2015. Emma has worked and volunteered overseas in India, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa and now works for The Prince's Trust on a programme supporting young people in the UK to start their own business. Emma leads on supporting ICYE's Membership strategy, enabling our members to be involved with the running of ICYE.
Trustee for Partnerships
- Caroline has recently been undertaking a masters in International Development and Cooperation in Edinburgh after previously working in recruitment for over 7 years. She first became involved with ICYE UK when she took part in a yearlong placement in Colombia on a Women's Rights project and since returning in 2013 she has been involved in volunteering at on-arrival and pre-departure camps, speaking at info days and attending socials. She was elected to the Board of Trustees in 2015 and has focused on developing partnerships with corporate organisations.
Trustee for Marketing and Fundraising
- Jasmine became involved with ICYE UK in 2011 as an intern on the Long Term Sending programme. After completing her internship she went on to volunteer in Uganda for three months through an ICYE UK placement. Staying involved with the charity since returning she was elected to the Board of Trustees in 2014. Outside of ICYE UK Jasmine works for a national children's charity.
Trustee for Staff Development
- Cleo’s first involvement with ICYE was in 2014, when she spent 6 months with YMCA in Colombia working on a youth project with socially deprived young people in Bogota. Since returning she has remained involved with the organisation by talking about her experience on information days and taking part in training and support activities on our camps. Cleo works for the Ark, an international education charity on the Professional Development team and is keen to be able to bring her skills and experiences to the board
Trustee for Programmes
- Frazer was a volunteer with ICYE UK in Costa Rica in 2013 and he volunteered for 12 months in the ACI Costa Rica office. On returning Frazer supported ICYE at different events and especially at our camps. In 2016 he was elected onto the board and wants to use his experience and knowledge of ICYE to help the organisation develop.