As a charity, ICYE UK is ultimately run by a Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees are and must be volunteers and are democratically elected by ICYE UK members at the organisation’s AGM which takes place in Autumn each year. The Board is responsible for ensuring that ICYE UK is operating according to our goals and beliefs whilst making sure that we are a financially stable organisation. They have a key role in long term planning for the organisation and managing the strategy in order to shape ICYE UK’s future.
Currently the Board is made up of 7 trustees who come from a variety of professional backgrounds. All, however, share a passion and commitment for the work of ICYE UK and seek to use their skills and knowledge to the benefit of the charity.
- Samad’s involvement with ICYE began in 2004 when he spent a year as a volunteer in south India. He has been involved ever since and was first elected onto the Board of Trustees in 2008 and then to the role of Chair in 2014. He enjoys the challenge of assisting to manage an international charity. In Samad’s view, the greatest aspects of the organisation are the inter-cultural approach to volunteering and opportunities that members have to play a part in how ICYE develops. When not working with ICYE, Samad manages services homeless young people in south London.
- Allison went to Colombia for 12 months with ICYE in 2010. Since returning she has remained involved with the organisation by talking about her experience on information days and taking part in training and support activities on our camps. In her spare time Allison volunteers with young people in the care system and is studying for a Masters in Youth and Community Work. Allison works for the BBC and is keen to bring her skills and experiences to the board.
Trustee for Membership
- Ben's first involvement with ICYE was in 2012, when he spent a year volunteering with a human rights organisation in Bolivia. Since returning to the UK he continued to promote the vision and values of ICYE to aspiring and incoming volunteers from around the world at ICYE information days and training camps. Ben has previously lived in Holland and Japan, studying law and gaining experience in the charitable sector. He now works for a Member of Parliament, managing local casework as well as wider research and policy. He is extremely passionate about using his knowledge and skills to promote active and global citizenship through ethical volunteering and international exchange as a member of the Board of Trustees.
Trustee for Marketing and Fundraising
- Jasmine became involved with ICYE UK in 2011 as an intern on the Long Term Sending programme. After completing her internship she went on to volunteer in Uganda for three months through an ICYE UK placement. Staying involved with the charity since returning she was elected to the Board of Trustees in 2014. Outside of ICYE UK Jasmine works for a national children's charity.
Trustee for Staff Development
- Louisa is an entrepreneur who has founded a company providing intelligent digital itineraries for those travelling to London however until recently her background has been in the construction industry, working as a consultant structural engineering on a broad range of projects across the city. Louisa’s strengths lie in her natural aptitude towards team communication and collaboration, and her analytical skills in problem solving for which her experience in the private corporate sector will help to bring fresh perspectives to the Board of Trustees. Louisa has been involved with ICYE for six years, helping each year at on-arrival/pre-departure volunteer camps in the summer and with firm beliefs in what ICYE stands for she is dedicated to making a direct contribution to all that the charity sets out to achieve.
- Nick went to Mexico with ICYE for a year in 2003 and has been involved with the organisation ever since. He has had a variety of different roles, from talking about his experiences in Mexico at information days to helping in the kitchen at camps, to supporting training and other activities. He was an active part of the Membership Committee organising fundraising and awareness building events. Nick’s family was also a host family for ICYE UK and they hosted Nick’s host sister from Mexico. Nick joined the Management Committee in 2011, bringing his skills and enthusiasm to the role. Nick is an auditor and is currently working with the European Commission.
- Russell was invited to join the Board of Trustees in 2010. He has lived and worked overseas in the US, France and South Korea and spent two and a half years working as a volunteer for a youth led NGO here in the UK. He now works as a programme manager for an international development charity. He is really excited about being on the Board of Trustees and enjoys getting involved in all aspects of the organisation’s work.