Host an international volunteer in the UK:
ICYE UK is a UK charity (charity number 1081907) working in the field of international volunteering, intercultural exchange and youth mobility. We are part of the ICYE International Federation which has over 60 years of experience.
In the UK we work with different charities to provide full-time voluntary placements for international volunteers. We are always looking to expand the range of charities that we work with and to widen the impact of our work.
ICYE volunteers come to the UK for 6 or 12 months and arrive in August/September and February of each year. We do not ask for any specific skills from volunteers to take part in the programme just enthusiasm, flexibility and motivation to support the work of the project where they are placed. Our volunteers are aged 18 to 35, they come from all over the world and from a wide range of different backgrounds with different skills and interests. We take time to ensure that volunteers are matched to the right project and provide support throughout the placement to both the volunteer and to the host project to ensure that the experience is mutually beneficial (positive for everyone?).
If you would be interested in hosting a volunteer or if you would like to find out more about our hosting programme please contact Dan at email@example.com or on 0207 681 0983
What are we looking for from a host project?
- A not-for–profit/charitable organisation that can provide a full time role for a volunteer
- Provision of accommodation for the volunteer as well as food/personal allowance
- A motivation for cultural diversity into the work of their organisation and a willingness to share their culture with the volunteer
- A structure and meaningful volunteer role that provides the opportunity for the volunteer to develop and tasks well suited to the volunteer’s skills and abilities.
- Provision of training to ensure the volunteer can carry out the tasks reuired
- Provision of a supervisor who can provide ongoing support and constructive feedback
What can you expected from ICYE UK?
- To organise a training course for the volunteer upon arrival and at least two weekend trainings for the volunteers during the year
- To maintain regular contact with host projects and volunteers
- To provide a contact person for both the project and the volunteer
- To organise the volunteers’ visas and insurance, police checks, references, any other documents specific to the host project, as well as any other related paperwork
- To meet with the volunteer and the supervisor at the work placement during the course of the year to ensure that the relationship is mutually beneficial and to assist in improving relations where applicable
- To arrange for a different project should the relationship be ineffective